Seattle Social Security Disability Attorney
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is provided to assist injured workers who cannot return to their jobs for an extended period of time. It is funded by the federal government and helps you support yourself and your family. However, successfully filing a claim for these benefits can be confusing and overwhelming.
The Law Offices of Calbom & Schwab can offer you guidance when you work with a Seattle Social Security Disability attorney from our team. We help you cut through the red tape and can increase your chance of being approved. For over 60 years, we have provided compassionate and ethical legal aid to clients throughout Washington.
How Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits Work
SSDI benefits were designed to help anyone who is injured and unable to work. In modern times, there are so many claims that the process is convoluted, slow, and frustrating. You must meet certain criteria and complete several steps. Many people trust a Seattle Social Security disability lawyer to do it right.
When your application form is received, you will wait between 6 and 12 months for a disability hearing. This hearing is held at a regional Social Security Administration office in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) who will ask you about your disability and how it affects your life. You will receive a decision within 2-3 months after the hearing.
You usually qualify for SSDI benefits if you meet one or more of these criteria as determined by the Social Security Administration’s guidelines:
- You have worked for enough years.
- You have worked recently enough.
- You have earned enough work credits.
- You cannot perform the work you were doing.
- You cannot adjust to other work because of a medical condition.
- Your medical condition lasts or is expected to last for at least 12 months.
- You earned less monthly income this year than the Social Security limit.
Certain situations may automatically qualify you for benefits and keep you from struggling with the claims process. Three factors, in particular, might help you start receiving payments very quickly:
- You are disabled from an injury or disease that is a disabling condition.
- If you have a serious or terminal disease, such as cancer, you are potentially eligible for a compassionate allowance.
- You have low vision, are a widow or widower, or are the parent of a disabled child, among other conditions.
- You have one of a variety of physical or mental impairments, such as respiratory, circulatory, or neurological conditions.
Applying for SSDI benefits is usually very time-consuming, but these circumstances can allow you to skip most of the review process. You can begin receiving benefit payments sooner and be able to live more comfortably.
Social Security Disability Insurance vs. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) provides benefits to those who have spent a portion of their life working and earning credits. However, if you do not have a long work history or need assistance until your SSDI claim is processed, you should consider applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). It is aimed primarily at older adults and those with limited financial resources.
A skilled Calbom & Schwab Social Security Disability attorney in Seattle can help you file for either or both programs if you qualify.
How Your Seattle Social Security Disability Lawyer Can Help You
Although the Social Security Administration (SSA) tries to make it easy to apply by offering online, telephone, and in-person options for filing your claim, the truth is that the process is anything but simple. Paperwork errors and insufficient documentation lead to a large number of denied initial claims because many applicants simply do not understand what to do.
Hiring a Social Security Disability lawyer in Seattle means you do not have to know the ins and outs of how to file successfully. Our team will guide you step-by-step to give you the strongest chance for initial approval. This lets you get your benefits faster and keeps you from worrying about how to pay your bills. Our team will help you:
- If you do not understand the filing process
- If you are overwhelmed by the paperwork
- If English is not your first language (our team offers services in Spanish)
- Understand why you were denied benefits and help you file an appeal
- Gather documentation and records to boost your chance of approval
With a successful Social Security Disability claim, you can protect your well-being and way of life rather than face financial uncertainty. Calbom & Schwab pride ourselves on helping members of our communities receive what they deserve after a life of hard work.
Why Social Security Disability Claims Can Be Denied
Most SSDI applications are denied for being incomplete, having wrong information, or lacking sufficient evidence supporting the claim for disability. Other reasons why a claim could be denied include:
- The condition is expected to last less than 12 months.
- The condition is not considered severe.
- You can do your regular job, light duty, or another job for your employer.
- You are impaired because of alcohol or drug abuse.
- You do not follow the doctor’s orders for your treatment.
- You are able to return to work before the claim is completed.
If any of these conditions applies to you, you can save time and stress by pursuing other avenues for financial assistance. A reputable Social Security Disability attorney from Calbom & Schwab can evaluate your circumstances and lead you to the best choice for you.
If your claim is denied, you have 60 days to appeal. Your lawyer can assist you with revising your claim details and adding any new medical support for your disability. We will work with you from start to finish to help you get the benefits you deserve.
Speak With a Seattle Social Security Disability Attorney Today
When you need help securing your SSDI benefits in Washington, turn to the Law Offices of Calbom & Schwab. We stand ready to assist you with your initial claim or with an appeal. Our legal team is committed to protecting your rights so you can get the help you need when you are sick or injured.
We offer free, no-risk consultations with no obligation. The longer you wait to apply or appeal, the longer you will have to wait to begin receiving benefits. Hire a Seattle Social Security Disability attorney from our team now. Contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation.