When you suffer a work-related illness or injury, you may worry about how you will pay your bills until you can return to your job. Washington companies must provide workers’ compensation insurance for their employees to cover medical expenses and partial wages while they recover. However, applying for these benefits can be frustrating and confusing.
At Calbom & Schwab, we can help you file and support your claim with the help of a skilled Pasco & Tri-Cities workers’ compensation attorney. Our team is experienced in all aspects of the process and will aid you from start to finish.
Workers’ Compensation Coverage in Washington
With very few exceptions, every company in the state of Washington must purchase workers’ compensation insurance from the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. Some companies choose to be self-insured. Having this insurance protects both workers and companies against undue financial burdens.
To file a claim, you will need to follow certain requirements:
- Report your injury or illness to your supervisor or manager immediately.
- Visit your company doctor, who will verify the extent of your injury or illness. They will also verify that it happened at work.
- Visit the L&I website or call them to complete the form to initiate your claim.
Washington allows up to one year for you to file your claim. This can be helpful if you suffer an injury and it becomes more serious over time. It also benefits workers who experience repetitive motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
While the filing process seems simple, it can become overwhelming when you must provide details about your injury and supporting documentation. This is where a workers’ compensation lawyer in Pasco & Tri-Cities from Calbom & Schwab can advise you on avoiding mistakes or problems.
Common Workers’ Compensation Injuries in Pasco & Tri-Cities
Workers’ compensation insurance will cover a wide variety of illnesses and injuries, provided that you can demonstrate they resulted from an accident or exposure while on the job. The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that workers most frequently experience the following injuries while working:
- Sprains, tears, and strains to muscles, often in the back
- Fractured or broken bones
- Abrasions, cuts, lacerations, and puncture wounds
- Injury and pain in the wrists, tendons, and back from repetitive strain or stress (RSIs)
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Being crushed under or between objects
- Being struck by equipment, an object, or a vehicle
The final items are known as the “fatal four” and are responsible for most workplace injuries, as well as deaths.
Types of Injuries Not Covered by Workers’ Compensation
While many injuries can be claimed for workers’ compensation, there are exceptions. Insurance will not apply when you or the person responsible for your condition behave outside the scope of the job.
Some examples include:
- An employee causes an accident while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Your injury is self-inflicted.
- You were engaging in unlawful or hazardous activities.
- You or the person who caused the injury were not on company time when the incident happened.
- You or the other employee failed to adhere to company policies and safety guidelines.
- The harm was intentional, not accidental.
Suppose you are hurt by another employee, and any of these circumstances apply. In that case, you can consider filing a personal injury lawsuit against them to recover damages that are not covered by workers’ comp insurance. Additionally, a personal injury claim would be appropriate against a contractor, vendor, visitor, or another person on company property who caused your injury.
Why Use a Pasco & Tri-Cities Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
In addition to helping you file your initial workers’ compensation claim, Calbom & Schwab can assist you if your claim is delayed, reduced, or denied. We will negotiate with insurance representatives to obtain the maximum benefits for you.
We can also assist with third-party lawsuits, such as those mentioned above. In addition to individuals who cause your injury at the worksite, you may have grounds to sue product or equipment manufacturers, maintenance workers, or security personnel. Determining who is at fault can be complex and is best investigated by an experienced Pasco & Tri-Cities workers’ compensation lawyer who can assist with related personal injury cases.
Our team will investigate your case and collect evidence to support your argument of negligence. We will also help you calculate the damages you have suffered so you can avoid the financial burden of paying medical bills for your injuries.
Pasco & Tri-Cities Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Workers’ compensation insurance in Washington covers multiple expenses for you while you recover. The goal is to provide the support you need to heal quickly and completely to return to work as soon as you can. If you are unable to return to your previous duties, you may be eligible for temporary or permanent disability payments.
The primary benefits of workers’ compensation include:
- Partial wage replacement while you are out of work (usually at ⅔ of your pay)
- Payment for medical bills related to your injury or illness
- Travel costs for treatment
- Reimbursement for any lost or damaged property as a result of the injury (clothing, cell phone, etc.)
- Assistance with job retraining or educational programs if you can no longer perform your job
- Permanent disability payments or a pension if you cannot work at all
- Death benefits for your survivors if you pass away as a result of your illness or injury
When you work with a workers’ compensation attorney in Pasco & Tri-Cities from Calbom & Schwab, we will ensure you do not miss any benefits you are owed. We will explain the process to you clearly, so you understand exactly where you stand.
Hire a Pasco & Tri-Cities Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today
When you are sick or injured from a work-related incident, you need to focus on healing and returning to work. You do not need to worry about the risk of missing out on workers’ compensation benefits you deserve to help you pay your bills. Our team is ready to put our expertise to work for you.
The Law Offices of Calbom & Schwab are proud to help the citizens of Pasco & Tri-Cities with their concerns about this vital insurance program. We offer free initial consultations, Spanish-speaking staff, and a commitment to compassionate legal representation. For over 60 years, we have worked hard to help those who need us.
Contact a Pasco & Tri-Cities workers’ compensation attorney from our office to begin your claim. Use our easy online form to schedule your free case evaluation today.