Wounded Warriors May be Entitled to Expedited Processing of SSD Claims

SSA Assisting Veterans With Claims

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has taken steps to assist veterans who have served since October 1, 2001 in the processing of their claims. To receive this expedited processing, you must have been found 100% Permanent and Total (P&T) under the VA guidelines.

Be aware that the rules for disability are different between the two agencies. Just because you have been found 100% P&T by the VA does not guarantee that you will be found disabled by the Social Security Administration. However, you will be entitled to an expedited processing of your claim if you have been declared 100% P&T by the VA.

This may not seem like much, but it is. Many people wait a very, very long time just to have their claims processed. By expediting your application, this means that you will not have to suffer the same long wait and the stress and economic hardship that goes along with that wait, that many others have to endure.

Qualification For Expedited Claim

To qualify for this expedited handling of your claim, you simply need to tell the person at the SSA that assists you that you are a Wounded Warrior with a 100% P&T VA finding. If you apply online, simply indicate in the “Remarks” section of the online application that you are a “Veteran 100% P&T”. You will also be required to provide a copy of your VA Notification letter than found you 100% P&T.

As a Wounded Warrior, and to further speed the processing of you claim when you apply, you should be ready to provide a list of all of your medical providers who have treated you and the military address of where your records are kept. If you have obtained medical care from providers outside the VA system, you should provide their names and addresses, as well, at the time you apply. Having all of this information organized before you apply will make the processing of your claim much faster.

Get Help From An Attorney

Finally, if you have additional questions, I recommend you read the information available online at www.ssa.gov and also contact an attorneyexperienced in representing individuals making claims for Social Security Disability and SSI.